Bob Baffert-trained horses dominated the first 2019 Kentucky Derby Future Wager Pool, with the trainer getting 7 out of the 24 horses named in the pool.
The first individual horse named in the pool is the unbeaten Baffert-trained Game Winner, who is at surprisingly short odds at 8-1, according to oddsmaker Mike Battaglia. He’s followed by another Baffert horse, Improbable, who is tied with Instagrand at 10-1.
The other Baffert horses are Coliseum at 15-1, Mucho Gusto at 20-1, and Magic on Tap, Roadster and Tale of the Union at 30-1.
Knicks Go, who surprised all with a great 2-year-old campaign, was listed at only 20-1.
What is not a surprise is that “All other 3-year-old colts and geldings” was the first choice at 7-5. Considering that this year’s Triple Crown winner, Justify, was not even in the first two pools of the Derby Future Wagering Pool, oddsmakers are guessing that there may be other untested horses who may break Apollo’s Curse again.
For the first time in the pool’s history, 3-year-old fillies got its own betting line, currently at 30-1.
The pool’s entrants, with their trainer and odds in parentheses, are as follows:
- All Other 3-Year-Old Colts and Geldings (7-5)
- Game Winner (Bob Baffert, 8-1)
- Improbable (Baffert, 10-1)
- Instagrand(Hollendorfer, 10-1)
- Coliseum (Bob Baffert, 15-1)
- Code of Honor (Shug McGaughey, 20-1)
- Knicks Go (Ben Colebrook, 20-1)
- Mucho Gusto (Baffert, 20-1)
- Cairo Cat (Kenny McPeek, 30-1)
- Dunph (Mike Maker, 30-1)
- Gunmetal Gray (Jerry Hollendorfer, 30-1)
- Magic On Tap (Baffert, 30-1)
- Maximus Mischief (Robert “Butch” Reid Jr., 30-1)
- Network Effect(Chad Brown, 30-1)
- Roadster (Baffert, 30-1)
- Tale of the Union (Baffert, 30-1)
- Vekoma (George Weaver, 30-1)
- All 3-Year-Old Fillies (30-1)
- Epic Dreamer (Kelly Breen, 50-1);
- King for a Day (Todd Pletcher, 50-1)
- Mucho (Bill Mott, 50-1)
- Preamble (Rodolphe Brisset, 50-1)
- Signalman (McPeek, 50-1)
- Uncle Benny (Jason Servis, 50-1)