Last month, Horse Racing Nation proved that it was never too early to start looking for another champion as they published an article on the possible contenders for the Kentucky Derby.
Granted, most of the article focuses on the crop of horses making their way to the 2-year-old ranks based on sires, but they do introduce several possible contenders:
- American Cleopatra, a full sister to Triple Crown winner American Pharoah;
- Hey Mike, who finished second in the Kentucky Juvenile Stakes but looked impressive in winning his maiden at Keeneland, setting a track record for 4 1/2 furlongs;
- Silver Mission, a Todd Pletcher colt who nonetheless won his maiden by 3/4 of a length;
- Capt. Grider, who made up five lengths in the last quarter of a mile to win a 4 1/2 furlong race at Keeneland;
- Milton Freewater, who sounds more like an accountant and won by a nose over three other horses and set a new track record at Los Alamitos in California;
It’s way too early to know if these young colts will continue to win, but if they do, you saw it here, er, second.